15 July 2010

In need of accuracy

"Realistic" drawing/sketching is all about accuracy.

One or two skewed or out-of-place elements are enough for an odd-looking drawing - especially when compared with the source.

An illustrator friend's advice is to "keep going" with the work.

I've done that. But I've also erased and redrawn parts (small and large) of "completed" drawings. And I've also started-over after different stages of drawing - some mere outlines but some completes.

Maybe, I should try caricatures.


Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka. (Source photo.)
I couldn't get his eyes correct in 4 previous attempts with a diffent photo.
This was my 1st attempt with the source photo in the link.
The nose needs more depth.



I can't do teeth. Apart from other mistakes, her nose is off.



1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like these drawings! (teeth can be tricky anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, esp. in this early stage!) An approach to learning to draw - that I found interesting - is outlined in the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards http://www.drawright.com/bookA.htm

    ReplyDelete